Basic Black Bean Brownies
- 4 eggs (or substitute with 1 cup of Eggbeaters)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. low fat cooking oil
- 15 oz. can black beans (almost two cups)
- 3 Tbsp. baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup Splenda/sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- Grease an 8"x8" square dish with a light cooking oil spray. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C).
- Drain and rinse the can of black beans.
- In a food processor, beat the eggs lightly and add the vanilla extract and the cooking oil. Combine on low speed until blended.
- Add the baking powder and the Splenda or other sweetener, and continue to mix on low speed.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa powder and the baking powder and stir until well blended.
- Add the black beans to the food processor and run it on a medium to high speed, until the beans are thoroughly pulverised.
- Add the cocoa and baking powder mixture to the food processor and run on low speed until fully blended.
When the mixture is runny, with very few lumps of beans, pour it into the baking dish. Place in the center of the oven and bake for 35-40. The brownies will be ready when a toothpick inserted into the middle, comes out clean.
Feeling even more adventurous? Try these alternatives
- Chocolate orange - Include the zest of an orange (but not the juice), with 1 tsp. of orange extract.
- Peanut butter - Add 2 Tbsp of sugar-free peanut butter.